Sunday, June 26, 2011

Thai border crossing, take two

Last week I told Mike I wanted to go to Thailand and "stock" up on stuff. What stuff you might ask? I dunno just stuff.

I've grown tired of looking all over the city for things, and buying not 1 but 3 shovels that have all broken the second they strike the ground. See, unlike most people around here, I'm attempting to plant my own stuff (blog about that later) so I need a good shovel and possibly a spade, but they are not here! Annoying.

Anyway, back to the point, I told Mike I wanted to go to Thailand for stuff. I wanted a real store that was set up the way I'm used to with "quality" products. I just needed to see again what I was missing out on. To be FRANK, not much at all. Most of what we found today can be found in Vientiane, granted maybe for a higher price and questionable quality, but still found HERE, not across the border and an hour farther.

Mike went along with my plan, giving me credit for going with him on many, many trips I was not too excited about. See, I am more of a go along girl than a planning girl. I will do whatever he wants, even if I think it's crazy, rather than plan something myself. If I had my way, I'd get to sit in front of Lifetime movies all day or sit in the car and be lost in my thoughts for hours and hours, so that's why I choose to go along with him. Most of the time our trips take us in the wrong direction, sometimes many times, but at least once, so I get time to just think, about what who knows.

Ok, ok I wandered again, so we got to Thailand and one of the stores I really wanted to go to. It had shovels, and bug zappers- hopefully ones that won't break in a few days- and stuff :) Rows and rows of stuff in neat little aisles with Signs telling me where the "stuff" was. I was fairly content, until everytime I looked up 5 people were waiting to grab things for me, or just stare at us. The staring comes in handy when the kids are touching everything in sight, but they think it's cute, me not so much. I really like big stores but what I like about them is my that I can wander and look without being followed every step of the way.

I love stores, not because I love to shop, I just love 'em. I like that they guide me to what I might need. See, what I really miss is Wal-Mart. The one store I could go to and find absolutely everything I need. I HATE shopping, but I love wandering down aisles in a store that offers me EVERYTHING. I can't clothes shop in a mall, but give me a list of random items and I'll find them, all in one place!

So maybe this is what I was hoping for today in Thailand, but alas, I didn't quite get that feeling, more like spend some money and buy some crap to show it was worth something. In the end, I think my trips to Thailand will be limited and without the kids. I am okay with spending a few extra cents here vs. going the extra mile or 50 just to get a bargain. Plus I like it here, more than there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment