Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Playgroup

This morning as my car is refusing to run properly, as the kids are screaming they are hot and poor Tess is dripping wet, I decided that Tuesday morning playgroup has become my CURSE.

Every week I have big plans of getting out there and socializing with other moms in Vientiane, but every Tuesday for the past 2 months something happens to prevent me from going. Most of them have been minor and in the end we benefited from me not going, but today was not one of those days.


Today my battery light turned on. So as I am trying to get Finn to school in rush hour traffic (not such a rush) I was trying to look in my book to see what that meant. I was really hoping it just meant I had to keep my car on so the battery would charge, but alas it could have been many, many different things. Stupid me turned the car off when I took Finn in and when I got back to the car it started, but everything that runs off the battery was not working, ie AC, power locks POWER WINDOWS. So, not only did we not have AC but we also didn't have the ability to roll down the windows. Not knowing if I was actually in drive I pull out of the school and frantically call Mike; who casually answers the phone to tell me I seem to always call him at that exact time everyday...I not so casually tell him that's because everyday at that time I have a problem. Anyway he directs me to the Toyota dealership that is really close to our house and tells me everyone seems to have this problem when they get their car the battery needs a charge or replacement should be a quick fix...


Famous last words! 3 hours, 2 meltdowns, lots of money spend on a new battery and a horrible English translation - leading me to believe I might not drive my car for 3-months - later the car is still not in my driveway.


Oh the taste of freedom was so sweet...

3 comments:

  1. So sad! Maybe next week, tell yourself its Wednesday! :-) Hope it gets fixed quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha. I almost died over anxiety on getting to playgroup myself. Seriously--why are we doing this? Remember when playgroup was a short walk across the oakwood courtyard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, hoping you can help us, I'm new to Vientiane with a 20 month old daughter. Were trying to meet families and see if when the local playgroups hangout. I know this post was last year, but hoping you can point me in the right direction.

    Thanks Sharee
    email: helena32@xtra.co.nz

    ReplyDelete