Saturday, May 28, 2011

It's my culture shock, and I'll cry if I want to

Which I did a fair amount of for at least a month, if not more.

So the theory is that once most people get to a new place they go through a Honeymoon period, then start to feel the differences, then get used to it, only to feel the differences again and finally move into a comfort zone.

The other night, while Mike was on a business trip to the South of Laos, he was telling me over the phone he had heard about culture shock and while it wasn't the same for everyone and I'm not completely by the book, he thinks I've moved into a comfort zone...lets hope.

I for sure did not go through my honeymoon stage, I went straight into crisis mode. Could be the way I'll always feel when moving to a new place, or the fact that I'd just had a baby and moved across the world, either way I'm sad to know that I didn't get the euphoria.

My sister-in-law asked me if I wanted to yell at people for their well meaning comments on my Facebook status updates when I was going through a very rough time...yes, yes I did want to yell and more. But I also admitted if I didn't want well meaning comments I could stop posting to Facebook.

So only 3-months into our assignment I might not LOVE it here, but I'm starting to figure out how to deal and hope I continue to.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Found you by fluke through another site and then said... "I know her!". We met at Oakwood in the pool. We are in Bangladesh now... well, actually in the US to deliver a baby for a few, but then back to Bangladesh. Pls check us out at beyondthecornfields.blogspot.com and you should remember me.. the one with the little Guatemalan daughter.

    Hope Laos gets easier; sounds like it is! Enjoy your time there, and especially your visits to neighboring countries.

    Brgds ~ Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you, and have been following your blog :). I finally figured out what was wrong with my computer not allowing me to A. follow blog and B. comment because I tried to comment a few times on your posts :) Good luck with baby!!

    ReplyDelete