Monday, February 13, 2012

Pryor trip to Thakek

Oh Miserable..I think that is the only word that comes to mind from this trip. A 5-hour car ride, followed by mind numbing whining from 2 children.

Thakek is home to some awesome caves, which I didn't explore, and a good rock climbing spot, which I did not try.

The weekend of the boat race festival we left town, headed to Thakek with the family and 2 friends, not knowing that the 2 girls were sick. ACK! And thinking it was the end of rainy season...

On our second day in town, Mike dragged everyone out to the climbing site, only to have me leave 10-minutes after walking down a horribly muddy road and falling in it to go search for food, because you'd think we have left the house with 3 kids and me before...if it's after 11, we're in trouble if no food is around. Humph, didn't think about that one.

I told Mike after walking half a mile in 6 inches of mud he could pretty much find me in the car and not to count on me walking back to the climb site. Did I mention I fell in the mud while carrying the baby on my back and Maggie on my front. It was awful.

We didn't actually end up sitting in the car, a friendly Lao women invited me and the girls to sit in her home, an open air hut on stilts, and Maggie actually took a nap while Tess showed us her climbing moves. Me and said Lao women spoke about 3 sentences to each other, but I consider that pretty good.

Meanwhile Mike found an awesome cave which he and Finn swam in. And C and A were hungover lumps.

All in all Thakek might be a great place, and I look forward to visiting again in a month when the Pryor family descends on us, but I can say I've learned a hard lesson, sick kids and road trips don't mix. We found out both girls had ear infections....bad mom award!

The horribly, awful road we walked down. Photo by Andrew Craft

Mike showing off ;) Photo by Andrew Craft

1 comment:

  1. 5 hour car ride is such a long time. When it comes to go on a nice place or mountain it sounds exciting. compare airport parking

    ReplyDelete